Submissions are closed.
The next submission period for Water~Stone Review is October 1- December 1, 2019. The reading period is December-April. All submissions should be original, unpublished work. We welcome and encourage diversity in voice and form.
The following guidelines apply to the general submissions only.
- All submissions should be original, previously unpublished work. (This also excludes work published on any website, including author’s own site, from being submitted for consideration.)
- Fiction and creative nonfiction submissions must be limited to 8,000 words. Novel and memoir excerpts are acceptable as long as they stand on their own. Short and flash forms are welcome in both CNF and fiction and up to three pieces in these forms, with the total number of words for all pieces combined not exceeding 8,000 is acceptable.
- Poetry submissions must be limited to three poems or fewer.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but the writer must withdraw the manuscript immediately if it has been accepted elsewhere.
- Entrants may submit only one submission per genre/category. It is preferred that entrants submit in only one genre per issue, creative nonfiction, fiction, or poetry. If submitting in more than one genre/category please communicate this in the cover letter to avoid clerical confusion.
- All submissions are now online only.*
- Payment is in two copies of the issue in which the author’s work appears.
- Note: Students currently enrolled in Hamline’s MFA or BFA programs cannot submit to Water~Stone Review. Work from graduates of these programs is welcome.
*Mailed manuscripts are accepted by special permission only and must be typed or printed in proper format on white paper, in English or translations provided, one side only, double-spaced (prose). Specify genre (fiction, creative nonfiction, or poetry) on the outside of your envelope and in the cover letter. Please send submissions addressed to Fiction Editor, Nonfiction Editor, or Poetry Editor. Cover letters should be brief and should indicate the genre of the submitted work. Author’s name should not appear on the manuscript. Please include a SASE for result. Manuscripts will be recycled not returned.