We feature three writing contests (WSR Prize in Fiction, Poetry, and the Judith Kitchen Prize in Creative Nonfiction). One of these genre contests is featured each year, in a three year rotation. The contests are read by an outside judge each year. Contest entrance fee is $20. This is a reading fee and includes a one year subscription. While we do allow simultaneous submissions, we do not reimburse entrance fees should the piece be pulled from consideration due to publication elsewhere. Prize is $1000, publication and two copies of the journal.
W~SR is not currently hosting a contest. Check back soon.
Contest Submission Guidelines:
- All submissions should be original, previously unpublished work. (This also excludes work published on any website, including author’s own site from being submitted for consideration.)
- Poetry submissions must be limited to three poems or fewer. Poems should be formatted as you feel they should appear in print, paginated (if necessary), with title on first and subsequent pages. All forms of poetry are acceptable and encouraged. Your name, address, phone number, and e-mail address should appear in the cover letter only.
- Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but the writer must withdraw the piece immediately if it has been accepted elsewhere.
- Entrants may submit only one submission in the prize category. Submit up to three pieces for a poetry submission. Fiction and creative nonfiction submissions must be limited to 8,000 words. Novel and memoir excerpts are acceptable as long as they stand on their own. Short and flash forms are welcome in both CNF and fiction.
- An entry fee of $20 must accompany your submission. Entry fee includes a one-year subscription to the journal.
- Prize of $1000 and two copies of the issue will be awarded to the winner of the contest.
- Submit easily online via Submittable (not currently taking submissions).